Thursday, March 15, 2012

Pixelation in 3D

The assignment for 'The Grid Project' was to take a picture and recreate it using a pre-existing grid. All around us we can see grids, in the construction, calendars, and curtain patterns. For my interpretation, I  chose to go with the some sort of image in the style of art nouveau, as that has been influencing me recently. Below is the image of a stained glass window of which I chose to convey in my final piece.


You can see that it has a lot of curves and this was completely intentional. The biggest difficulty with pixelating something is figuring out how to make curved lines while conforming to a grid space and using straight objects. My grid space was green mesh netting on top of a black poster board which I then used as the canvas to apply different colored fake flowers as pixels. The netting was small, but the flowers are laid out in such a way that they still follow the rows and columns of a grid. Though a difficult process, trying to lay out pieces on the same plane (not to mention keeping the kitten away from it!), but that were next to each other, I think the end result is a fantastic piece and I will be using is as my own wall decor.



No comments:

Post a Comment